Monday, August 27, 2012

Review: Rapture by Lauren Kate

Rapture (Fallen, #4)
The sky is dark with wings . . . .
 
Like sand in an hourglass, time is running out for Luce and Daniel. To stop Lucifer from erasing the past they must find the place where the angels fell to earth. Dark forces are after them, and Daniel doesn’t know if he can do this—live only to lose Luce again and again.

Yet together they will face an epic battle that will end with lifeless bodies . . . and angel dust. Great sacrifices are made. Hearts are destroyed. And suddenly Luce knows what must happen. For she was meant to be with someone other than Daniel. The curse they’ve borne has always and only been about her—and the love she cast aside. The choice she makes now will be the only one that truly matters.

In the fight for Luce, who will win? The astonishing conclusion to the FALLEN series. Heaven can’t wait any longer. (GoodReads)

FRIENDS I ALMOST DIDN’T MAKE IT through Rapture by Lauren Kate. Fallen was gothic and spooky, but since then this series jumped the rails and went to Crazy-Insipid-Love town. And if you check out our Review Criteria, Fallen partially INSPIRED this blog. GULP. I felt I had a duty to finish this series, esp. since Goosie Mama took one for the team and reviewed Torment  AND Passion (click for her hilarious reviews). In lieu of the four normal categories of analysis, I am going to focus on the two most applicable: Absurdity and Level of Paranormal Romance.

Absurdity: 100+. Did you know you don’t need to breathe under water if you snorkel with an angel? True fact. And being a girl totally dependent on a guy is totally OK (WHAAAAAATT we are not even going there).

Level of Paranormal Romance: 100+. You cannot compare with book 3 Passion’s multi-incarnation love affairs, but highlights of cray-cray love include:
  • Gratuitous feather petting
  • A love triangle with the devil (that is not a euphemism)
  • This quote: “What does my soul look like to you?' 'I couldn't reduce it to words if I tried, but its beauty is unsurpassed.” 
  • And this quote: “Was their love worth the erasure of the world and all its stories?” Luce and Daniel think yes, but if you ask me, no. But maybe this floats the boats of 17 year-old girls who have not yet realized that growing out of love can be a good thing.
I have to admit that I don’t know what happens to Cam. I literally had to skim to the end to save my sanity, and I apparently missed the resolution of his story line. I am assuming he was also in love with Luce. ‘Cause that’s the type of series this is, all Bella-Swan irresistible etc. BUT for full disclosure, I found the last chapter kinda cute. I mean, it cannot make up for the crazy that was books 2-4, but it was a cute way to end the series at least!

2 comments:

  1. Love triangle with the devil? That sounds awesome. I am going to write that story. It will be erotica. And awesome. Move over E.L. James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first was a really good book. Number two was ok. Passion was like dragging the reader through one absurdity to the next. I have yet to read Rapture but after this love triangle with the devil...I'm scared. lol

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Heck ya!