Thursday, August 9, 2012

Review: Virals by Kathy Reichs

Virals, I almost didn't read you.  Books that are TV/film spin offs? No thanks... even though "Bones" from the TV show is our main characters aunt, I decided, o what the heck, and checked out this book.

Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.

As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent.

Fortunately, they are now more than friends they're a pack. They areVirals.(Good Reads)


And I liked it!  Set in Charleston SC, a magical land of delicious foods and sweet tea vodka, mixed with sci-fi elements, techy high schoolers. high school hottie jocks, and a murder mystery ( and a hint of environmentalism), Virals by Kathy Reichs has a little bit for everyone.

  • Originality: 7.  This book covers alot of ground, and especially with the SILLY and totally unnecessary connection to Bones, there are quite a few original aspects to this book, once we get past the pretty-not rich-new girl-out cast description of Tory, things really start to get interesting.
  • Absurdity: 7.  There are some scenes where these high school kids do some incredible Google searches, have access to wild databases, appear to have no curfews, and then develop super powers.  If I was 14 and suddenly my body was morphing into a Viral, I am not sure I would have just slept it off like these kids.  
  • Paranormal Romance: 1. Some mild high school crushing, but that is really it.  This is not about boys, this is about the Virals.
  • Level of Harry Potterness: 5. I liked this one!  Definitely had some plot twists, some of which I saw coming, but I dont know if that is because I am incredibly smart ( the leading theory) or because I am reading YA fiction... Either way, the suspense was enough to keep those pages turning.
And check out the sweet webpage for the series Viraltheseries.com, it is pretty awesome.  I will be reading the next ones for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Heck ya!