Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: "Top Ten All Time Favorite Characters In Books"

Today's Top Ten Tuesday is entitled "Top Ten All Time Favorite Characters In Books." Hosted by the Broke and the Bookish TTT is a weekly feature dedicated to book-list-mania.  I found this top ten hard to do--recent characters I read and liked, but had not necessarily upgraded to love status, crowded for attention. Sheesh (made-up) people, get in line! Not to mention I tend to love supporting characters best. I didn't realize it until I made this list! Without further ado, characters we love fall into these categories:

Ridiculousness Incarnate 
1. Peasebottom, Cobweb, Moth, and Mustardseed from the Theatre Illuminate series by Lisa Mantchev. I dare you to resist them! For example, this is such a funny play on famous first lines (as the first lines of Perchance to Dream, the second book in the series).  Ridiculous AND smart at once!
 “It is a truth universally acknowledged,” Mustardseed said, flying in lazy loops like an intoxicated bumblebee, “that a fairy in possession of a good appetite must be in want of a pie.” “Yes, indeed,” Cobweb said over the rattle of the caravan, “though I awoke one morning from uneasy dreams, I found myself transformed in my bed into a gigantic pie.” “It was the best of pie, it was the worst of pie,” was Moth’s contribution."
Exuberant characters!! Exclamation point!!
2. Eldric from Chime by . McDREAMY with an excellent vocabulary and a vivid imagination. (my review!)
3. Augustus Waters from The Fault In Our Stars by John Green.
“When surprised and excited and innocent Gus emerged from Grand Gesture Metaphorically Inclined Augustus, I literally could not resist.” --ME EITHER. Augustus loves life and I love him. He is my new favorite (made-up) person.
4. Joe Fontaine from The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. (my review!)
 “The guy is life drunk, I think, makes Candide look like a sourpuss.”
Spunky Heroines 
5. Alanna of Trebond from the Song of the Lioness books by Tamora Pierce. We talk about these books a lot. Alanna is the original gusty heroine in the reading lives of Crazy Camper and Grad Student. When my roommate ran in (last month) and said “did you ever read those books about the girl with purple eyes?” I KNEW EXACTLY what she meant. We love her still.
6. Hermione Granger from J.K. Rowling's HP. Smart and Sassy. What is not to like? Points to Crazy Camper for adding to the list.
7. Puck from The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. She loves being terrible! But is really awesome. (my review!)
8. Sookie Stackhouse from the Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris. Sassy and southern. YES. This was Crazy Camper's second excellent addition. I think it says something that 12 books in we still get a kick out of Sookie.


7 comments:

  1. Ugh, the blog ate my comment :-( So here we go again!

    First, I just have to say that I LOVE your blogs name! I adore YA fiction and frozen whiskey sours and it's always good to discover I'm not alone.

    Next, I can't believe I've only read two books from the list (Harry Potter and The Fault in Our Stars). I keep promising a friend of mine that I will read the Alanna books and it's time I really just buckle down and do it. I'm sure I'll love them once i get started.

    I look forward to reading more of your fantastically named blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Augustus!!! He does love life, but I had never thought those exact words before and reading them made me sooooo sad!

    I'm dying to read the Scorpio Races. I have the audiobook on my iPhone. I'm planning on listening to it next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Puck in Scorpio Races.

    Such a great story, and she was so strong.

    Fun list!

    Laura @ The Traveling Owl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! The category idea was brilliant because it's so true, isn't it? That our favorite characters all usually fall into some sort of similar categories, huh? Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahaha I love your different categories. And so many good choices! I put Hazel on my list, too. I love his scaracasm, like the whole conversation about the heart of Jesus. And I love that quote you chose. I almost put Joe Fontaine on my list. He's another good one. And then, of course, Hermione, queen of the spunky heroines. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe Fontaine is seriously one amazing character! I can't believe I forgot about him whilst I was making my list.

    Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Heck ya!