Thursday, January 3, 2013

Review: A Long Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

This was the book I was reading when my Nook crashed right before Christmas I walked upstairs to get a sweatshirt, telling my mom, wow I am enjoying this book, came downstairs, and my Nook was done-zo.  Fast forward to Christmas gifts and thank you Baby Jesus for giving me a device that allows me to finish my book.  A true Christmas miracle.


It should have been a short suspended-animation sleep. But this time Rose wakes up to find her past is long gone-- and her future full of peril.

Rosalinda Fitzroy has been asleep for sixty-two years when she is woken by a kiss. Locked away in the chemically induced slumber of a stasis tube in a forgotten subbasement, sixteen-year-old Rose slept straight through the Dark Times that killed millions and utterly changed the world she knew. Now, her parents and her first love are long gone, and Rose-- hailed upon her awakening as the long-lost heir to an interplanetary empire-- is thrust alone into a future in which she is viewed as either a freak or a threat. Desperate to put the past behind her and adapt to her new world, Rose finds herself drawn to the boy who kissed her awake, hoping that he can help her to start fresh. But when a deadly danger jeopardizes her fragile new existence, Rose must face the ghosts of her past with open eyes-- or be left without any future at all.


Sleeping Beauty meets Terminator/ Total Recall.  I really like this book, though I am not sure exactly why?  My favorite part was when they started AIM-ing/ G-chatting each other to talk about crushes.  Is that really the future?

  • Originality:  8. As I just read the modern day Snow White tale Devoured (my review), it seemed fast to jump into another fairy tale retelling  ( Just wait till I write my post about Ash, coming soon, a Cinderella retelling), but this was great! The technology, the jump ahead  in time, killer robots and flash backs were new and fun to read.
  • Absurdity: 6.  Considering the combo, I went right along with this story.  High school as a new girl is hard, and Rose, we feel you.  Its harder when you are an heiress who has been asleep for 60 years and everyone you knew and loved is dead.
  • Paranormal Romance: Some time jumping romance here, but I wont say anymore.  Xavier, her first love and best friend, it was a short description, but highly swoon worthy.  
  • Harry Potterness, 6.  I liked this. I was sad I lost it, and then SO HAPPY to have it back.  I would recommend it.
Of the Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty retellings I read this week, this was my favorite!  

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmm... I have Ash on my kindle, but I may have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sold the moment you mentioned that this is a Disney meets Arnold Schwarzenegger mashup. Besides, I do fancy myself a good fairytale retelling, especially ones that involve time travel and the future circa 1995. I mean, seriously? AIM?

    Actually, a teenagey part of me still kinda hopes it makes a comeback, if only so I can take pride in my killer AIM profile. Let me just tell you... it was the shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Nikki- your review sold me (well that and because I was sitting next to you as you read this and you were a conversation zombie you enjoyed it so much!)

      I also generally love AIM flashbacks in general :-)

      Delete

Comments? Heck ya!