Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Review: Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1)
Everything is in ruins.
A devastating plague has decimated the population, and those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for? Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery makeup . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club--in the depths of her own despair--Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club, and Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does. And Araby may find not just something to live for, but something to fight for--no matter what it costs her (GoodReads)
Originality. 9. This is a retelling of Edgar Allen pies short story about a party and Death. I haven't read it. Oops! But I am a wimp and Poe is pretty scary. Also, I THINK this is Steampunk. Corsets, faded Victorian morals and 'flying machines.' This is my first foray into Steampunk, and I have to say it is a bit weird. But Poe +Steampunk gets a high originality score for sure.
Absurdity. 10! I rolled my eyes at the goth/punk ripped Victorian dresses these girlies wore to the club. Yes club. It was more a private society than disco but still. Glittery eye shadow is involved in the pseudo-Victorian world. Princes are involved, too. EYE ROLL.
Level of Paranormal Romance: 4. Yet another tattooed love interest; sign me up for some of that! Plus he adorbs loves his little brother and sister. This is more a manners romance a la Austin than it it hot and heavy, but I still rooted for our potential couple.
Level of Harry Potterness 5: I was pleasantly surprised by Griffin's eerie and evocative writing style. It fit perfectly with the story and build a good amount of tension.


Steampunk club based on Poe story: Admits one.

2 comments:

  1. Plague--CHECK. Death--CHECK. Gothic Style--CHECK. All the things that make for a great story, in my book!

    This has been on my TBR list for quite some time, and as a HUGE Poe fan, I can't wait to see how Griffin updated the creepy tale. I do have to admit, I'm a little sick of these stupid love triangles but so as long as one of the men is tough on the exterior but a total teddy bear, I'll deal. Can't waaaaaaait for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one... and I am ALL for tattooed love interests... where did you say the sign up was for that?

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Heck ya!