Thursday, June 20, 2013

Review: Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

I downloaded Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes on a whim... my library didn't have a blurb for some reason online, but I liked the cover, so I went for it.  Living life on the EDGE everyday.

Every other day, Kali D’Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She argues with her father. She’s human.

And then every day in between . . . she’s something else entirely.

Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism.

When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her, and unfortunately she’ll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive . . . and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process. (GoodReads).


Sometimes this life of wild choices really does pay off!


Originality: 7- paranormal as a species discovered by Darwin?  Interesting.  Cross breeding new paranormal species in a creepy lab?  Very interesting.  Throw in a high school loner/hunter/teenager and here we go.

Absurdity: 5- considering the above, very low.  I found this easy to believe, and just fell right into the story, the fast moving plot, and high school cheerleader antics.  
Level of Paranormal Romance: 8- Zev, I'm looking at you!  I liked him, but am still not sure of his allegiences vs feelings vs destined emotions.  Paranormal teenage romance is so confusing.
Level of Harry Potterness: 7- I wonder if Jennifer Barnes has read the Strange Angel series? Kali is a bit like Dru, and we all know Dru kicks but. Some good plot twists along the way, kept me guessing (and maybe a few gasps outloud...).

Guys, its summer, there is 100% humidity, put on some AC and give this a try, you too will be  surprised!

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one before! The author sounds familiar, but I've not picked up any of her books yet. This one sounds really unique and interesting, though. A little sci fi, a little paranormal... Definitely going to check it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you living on the edge! Sometimes these random chances we take lead to the biggest payoff in the end, right?! This sounds like an awesome paranormal series. I especially love it when an author can blend several kinds of supes into one book relatively seamlessly. I look forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE JLB!!!!!! Let me, ahem, strongly suggest that you go pick up a copy of Raised By Wolves. Some insta-love (that is kinda explained by science, but just go with it), but one of my all time faves. I read it in one sitting. JLB is a smart scientist type and it totally comes out in her books!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Heck ya!