Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Inspirational Characters


On Sunday the ladies of YAF & WS had this email conversation: "Got any ideas of awesome characters that make you, in the words of Tom Cruise in Jerry MaGuire, make you want to be a better man?" AKA we are dedicating today's Top Ten Tuesday Rewind to Inspirational Characters. As always cheers to The Broke and the Bookish for hosting TTT!

Grad Student:
1. The teacher in The Perks of Being a Wallflower (and Paul Rudd playing him in the movie is only an added bonus. Teachers that make kids believe the are in fact smart are so important!)
2 and 3: Maddie and Julie from Code Name Verity. I am inspired by their friendship and their bravery. Cue the tears!:
“And this, even more wonderful and mysterious, is also true: when I read it, when I read what Julie's written, she is...whole and undamaged...Gloriously daft, drop-dead charming, full of bookish nonsense and foul language, brave and generous. She's right here. Afraid and exhausted, alone, but fighting.” 
Crazy Camper:
4. Liesel Meminger from The Book Thief, because in the face of Nazi oppression, she believes in the power of her words.

Goosie Mama:
5-6: I think you have to include Katniss Everdeen because she's a really strong female role model who is badass, but not at the expense of others. She's one tough, flawed cookie, but has a heart at the same time. I would actually couple her and Tris from Divergent/Insurgent in the same bucket.
7.: When I told Crazy Camper and Goosie Mama that I wanted to pick some great parents that are role models for happy homes, CC suggested "can we do the parents from Easy A? Because I loved them." GM says "YES EASY A IS THE BEST!: I agree with this over-application of capital letters and inclusion of movie-characters rather than book characters. We tots want to be adopted.

                                            

7 comments:

  1. While I haven't read many of the books you mentioned, I totally co-sign the inclusion of Katniss! She is a great role model, who cares about her family and community first and foremost, and a good antidote to a lot of the damsel-in-distress types running around nowadays!

    Also, love the quote from Easy A!

    My TTT list, featuring the books I recommend the most, is over at Bookwanderer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lord, I love Easy A. I seriously need to give Perks a reread. I read it back in high school, but I think I missed out on a lot of it, if that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I...... need to finish Code Name Verity. Oh god... I do I do I do. Also, I've been meaning to read Perks of Being a Wallflower for FOREVER. And I really want to see Easy A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I'm not the only person who absolutely ADORED the parents in Easy, A?! So good to hear. I guess it doesn't hurt to tell you that movie solidified my intense crush on Stanley Tucci. Just sayin.

    So happy Katniss made this list (and what a great choice for a TTT, too!). I think what makes her resound with me is the fact that she IS flawed and despite those flaws, she strives to be a better individual. She rocks. I'd also have to add Tiny Cooper from Will Grayson, Will Grayson because though he's eccentric (LOVE HIM), he always trys to be the eternal optimist and I love that about him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is hilarious! I will be back!

    We chose to share our Favorite Places to Read this week on Harlie's Books. Come on over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katniss is a perfect choice for this list. She's humble, self-sacrificing, but fearless and true at the same time. Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maddie and Julie - my two favourite girls!

    Loved the parents in Easy A!

    I had no idea Paul was in Perks - now I really want to see it :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Heck ya!