Monday, February 20, 2012

Review: The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Today's review is about an awesomely funny/scary book, Maureen Johnson's The Name of the Star

"The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it’s the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago. Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn’t notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target?" (author's website)


The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1)In my mind, this cover has nothing to do with the book, but hey, I will take this book in any package. And let me just say this was laugh-out-loud funny AND sweaty scary all at once (doesn't that happen to everyone sometimes? and I was alone in a hotel room at the time, even creepier). I loved Rory. I would be her friend. She totally saw the ridiculous in the fact that every time her buddy Jerome told her Ripper facts, they ended up making out. I mean, weird, right? but still, hilariously weird and she knows it. Plus her take on the Ripper was great: “Keep calm and carry on.  Also, stay in and hide because the Ripper is coming.  and her take on European languages: "Some other facts I picked up: Welsh is an actual, currently used language and our next door neighbors Angela and Gaenor spoke it. It sounds like Wizard.”  Rory! I want to go to British boarding school with you! 

Originality: 6. While this is not the first revisiting of Jack the Ripper creepiness, the southern-girl-in-London and paranormal elements def get extra points for originality.

Absurdity: 4. It is somehow easier for me to buy ghost stories over fairies/banshees/vampire slayers. Unclear why, since I am the biggest wimp when it comes to scary ghost stories AND DO NOT believe in ghosts. My high school boyfriend gave my nightmares for a week just TELLING me about The Ring. Sheesh. 

Level of Paranormal Romance: 2. The ghosts are NOT the love interests, but it gets 2 points for aforementioned aphrodisiac of paranormalness. 

Level of Harry-Potter-ness: Sort-of magical powers/seeing the dead and funny writing makes this a high 6. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Heck ya!