Thursday, November 7, 2013

Review: Night School by C.J. Daugherty

Night School (Night School, #1)Allie Sheridan’s world is falling apart. Her brother’s run away from home. Her parents ignore her. And she’s just been arrested.

Again.


This time her parents have had enough. They cut her off from her friends and send her away to boarding school, far from her London friends. 


But at Cimmeria Academy, Allie is soon caught up in the strange activities of a secret group of elite students. When she’s attacked late one night the incident sets off a chain of increasingly violent events. As the school begins to seem like a very dangerous place, she finds out that nothing at Cimmeria is what it seems to be.


And that she is not who she thought she was.... (GoodReads)


Night School (Night School, #1)Night School by C.J. Daugherty is not what I thought it was either! I don't mean to give you spoilers or anything, but I waited for like 200 pages convinced this was going to turn out a la Hogwarts. I was waaayyy off base.

Originality: 4. This starts out with a street kid/boarding school/secret society mashup, which was great. But the love triangle (I know, I know, another one). Didn't do it for me.
Absurdity: 3. I didn't have to roll my eyes too much, because I am ok with the sort of secret society that Night School is.... (see how I kept the spoilers out? You're welcome.)
Level of Paranormal Romance: 6. Bad boy versus French hottie. Both fall for the new girl with no go reason. Per usual.
Level of Harry Potterness: 3. I really, really thought some wizards were arriving at any moment. That is laughably wrong! Besides the magic, this is just a regular book. Nothing mind-melting in the writing, but it is also not terrible, and I appreciated that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Heck ya!