Thursday, September 5, 2013

Audio Book Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Steifvater, The Raven Cycle

The Raven Boys
Loved my cover edition
GS reviewed this way back when... how am I so late to the party?

Full confession time, I could not get through The Scorpio Races (this link is to GS's glowing review)... I KNOW I KNOW.  Consequently, I did not jump on the Steifvater bandwagon, even at the promise of a group of high school boys from a private school and magic.  My bad.


Blue Sargent, the daughter of the town psychic in Henrietta, Virginia, has been told for as long as she can remember that if she ever kisses her true love, he will die. But she is too practical to believe in things like true love. Her policy is to stay away from the rich boys at the prestigious Aglionby Academy. The boys there — known as Raven Boys — can only mean trouble. (via)

I loved this.  Yesterday, with 7 minutes left of the audio book, I considered sitting in the parking garage at work to finish.  Alas, deadlines called, but as soon as I was done I made a beeline for my car.


Narrator Voice: 8- It is narrated by a man and at first I was all up in arms and ready to throw in the towel, BUT he was amazing. Great voices, creepiness, and pace.  Totally fit the book, as did the music at key plot points and between chapters  (some of which was composed and played by Maggie herself! Impressive).  


Cant wait to get my hands on book 2!

4 comments:

  1. Though I did appreciate The Scorpio Races, it was a far cry from being as awesome as I initially hoped. So no worries, you're not alone. TRB, however, was AH-MAZING! I read the hardback copy right after it was released. And fortunately, I was able to snag a free copy of the audiobook, though I haven't been able to listen to it yet. I'm really stoked to hear the narrator does it justice and I will be listening to it (to jog my memory) very soon since the sequel is about to be released.

    So pleased you enjoyed this one! I'm interested to know which of the Raven Boys is your fav?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't love this narrator, but I'm impatient and he talked too slow for my taste. I'm weird. I know. I'm reading Dream Thieves right now. Don't be jealous. :p (PS-Ronan forever... hahaha, these books make me act like i'm 14).

    ReplyDelete
  3. ADAM all the way. Though my New England self loved a bit of the prep-school rich boy in Gansy...

    I am downloading Dream Thieves TONIGHT. Football starts this weekend, so I may as well accept that fact with an excellent book! Group read check in when we all finish Dream Thieves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, poor Adam. I was a fan of bad-boy Ronan but my personal fav was Noah. My heart just keeps breaking for him.

      I am SO down for the group read check-in! GAH! So excited!

      Delete

Comments? Heck ya!